With Victoria Hudson of S75 Fitness, Barnsley
As we start to move around more, many of us are starting to think about getting more active. But trying to fit that into a busy daily routine can be hard.
We should be aiming to exercise for at least 30 minutes five times a week.
While exercise will help you lose a few pounds (if you need to) it’s not the only thing that you will benefit from by being more active. Exercise brings out the positive side in us: it increases self-confidence, helps reduce anxiety, makes us stronger and fitter and able to take on the world!
If you have spent more time than ever sat down, you may find you are getting neck/back pain – or you just feel stiff. It’s time to think about standing up more.
Top tips to add some much-needed movement and mindfulness into your daily life:
- Park your car further away. As you walk, take deep breaths with every step. This can help calm the mind and reduce feelings of anxiety. Just those few extra steps a day can make a difference.
- Can you stand up more? Maybe when you take a phone call at your desk, get into the habit of standing up. Even better if you can walk around.
- Imagine you have a balloon attached to the top of your head. Allow your shoulders to drop away and down from your neck, allowing your head to be lifted and shoulders pulled back.
- When you walk, become aware of how your body moves. Feel your feet where they touch the floor, try to feel every toe move, notice which muscles you can feel with every step.
- Put your phone down and go for a walk around the block on your lunch break. Look at the trees, listen to the birds, notice nature. Your mind will thank you for it.
- Try and do some exercise. Anything that is more than you are doing now will make a difference. It doesn’t have to be running or in a gym; a brisk walk that gets your heart rate up higher than it was when you were sat down is a perfect place to start.
Applying just these few changes into your everyday life can have huge longer term benefits on how your body feels, moves and your health.
S75 Fitness is a fitness community powerhouse in Barnsley that empowers their members to choose health and happiness over weight loss. Find out more here: s75fitness.com